The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) provides opportunities for parents and guardians of our patients, along with teenage patients, to partner with physician and administrative leaders to enhance patient- and family-centered care at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital.
What We Do
Xổ số DanongThe PFAC strives to promote patient- and family-centered care with and to help hospital personnel to understand the diverse needs of our patients and families. The Council provides an important voice for families and helps hospital staff to understand their unique perspectives as well as their cultural and spiritual needs. FAC members volunteer their time in order to share their perspective and insights to help our staff provide compassionate care.
Patient and Family Council members provide feedback in key areas that include:
- Interactions with the staff, environment and culture of JHACH
- Communication with nurses, physicians, other care team members and staff
- Coordination of care and transitions between inpatient stays, emergency center visits, outpatient care and home care
- Creating a child-friendly and supportive experience for patients and their siblings
- Keeping families informed about the plan of care and encouraging parents or guardians to take an active role in their child’s care
- Sharing feedback and suggestions about food for patients and other amenities at the hospital
Accomplishments in recent years include:
- Creating an “Ask a Parent” program to help hospital staff seek quick feedback from PFAC members about hospital processes and programs, and to ask in advance about changes that may be considered
- Establishing a Teen Council that provides patients age 13 or older to share their experiences with each other and with a child life specialist who facilitates the group
- Organizing social events that raise awareness about the PFAC and let hospital staff, patients and families learn more about the Council’s work
- Piloting new communication tools to help patients, parents and care team members share information
- Providing insight on how families would like to use the online patient portal to stay up-to-date on their child’s health conditions and upcoming appointments, and communicate with their healthcare team
- Participating in workshops with resident physicians to share firsthand experience on being in the hospital and living with a chronic or acute illness
What your involvement means:
Xổ số DanongPFAC members represent the voice of the patient experience. This works best through regular participation in our meetings. Members are expected to:
- Serve a two-year term
- Attend monthly meetings from September through June, on the third Tuesday of each month
- Six of these meetings are from 6:15 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Four of the meetings: October, 2019, and January, March, and May of 2020, are from 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. to provide opportunities for PFAC members to partner with institute and department leaders. During these meetings members provide feedback based on areas with which they have experience.
- Take part in a few special events or activities to raise awareness about PFAC
- Make a commitment to serve as the voice of the patient and family
Apply Today to be a part of the Family Advisory Council